Tuesday, June 1, 2010

History repeats itself....at least it does in my mind.. (part1 of 3).


Over a year ago I posted this photo along with several others in a post I wrote (November 2009 if your curious) about a perfect summer from my past.
In that post I talked about spending the entire summer with a group of friends who will forever be a part of me. I ended the post by saying that one of the boys in the photos ended up being my most surprising romance ever. Since that photo I have had a handful of comments from various sources speculating on just which one of the guys from that summer was "that guy".
All guesses were wrong which made me wonder just how it was that we stayed so far under the radar - we didn't try to, I think it might have been that just no one could have imagined what was going on let alone just how strong it was.
I have waited all this time to follow up on that post so as to not to feel like I was pressured into explaining myself - far from it - something like this needs no explanation. It was what it was.
Extremely brief, extremely proper (considering it was 1973) and extremely touching.
Maybe if things had been different and it had been given a chance to play itself out it might have come and gone like many teen romances. Then again, I've always wondered if it had been given its chance whether or not I'd be living at home with a dozen kids and two dozen grandchildren. Maybe...maybe not. Life has its own agenda.
A little back story. It was the summer between my junior and senior year of high school. It had the makings for the worst chapter of my life. My first real love had left for the army. My very best friend in the whole world was moving several hundred miles away and wouldn't be there for our senior year. My mother, with whom I had a very difficult relationship, was moving back to town and back into our home after being gone for most of my junior year and finally I had just turned 16 years old. That (being 16) in itself should be reason enough to forgive me for being a very mixed up kid.
That's enough for now....I will post the second part of the story in a couple of days. But until I do, I will sit on my porch as the sun goes down and think of all of the wonderful people and remember the laughter...its a good memory....

No comments: