Monday, January 10, 2011

Christmas 2010

LaVonne, Vicki and me

Surprise!  In a spontaneous move Dana and I decided to go home (my home) for Christmas.  I wanted to surprise everyone but ended up only being able to keep it a secret from my sister Vicki. 

We had a great time.  Got to see some special old friends while home..  Buster and Ellen Dudrey.  Beek and Sap and Stella.  Joe Sisneros and my first art teacher Vera Sanchez.  Stopped by Lupita and Dan Flores' home where I picked up a copy of Dan's book "Santa Rosa, A Route 66 Gem".



I was a little saddened to see that there weren't very many luminarias.  I had bragged to Dana about them so much and how they were soooooo traditional and how everyone put them out and then....zilch......

It was a wonderful trip and we had great weather.  Dana and I enjoyed every aspect of the trip.  I took a lot of photos and wrote a lot about the trip as we drove along.  Sort of a written narrative of the drive.  Since it was just Dana and I we could stop anywhere and everywhere we wanted to along the way.  We stopped outside of Amarillo to see the Cadillacs standing upright like they are buried in the ground.  I was surprised to find that they aren't buried but in fact just half a car and that they are coated with layer upon layer of spray paint.  BUMMER!  The whole place reeked like a huffers paradise.

Dana

But still, we had a great time and it was like a shot in the arm for Dana and I.  We are hoping to find a way to schedule in more of these trips this year -

No comments: