Thursday, January 15, 2009

Why am I bare naked...

with total strangers? Well, I guess the truth is because my head is so full.

The best place in the whole world to be was at my Grandmother's house. Family meals at her house were the very best in the world. After we would finish eating supper instead of watching TV we would all sit in the living room and talk. My grandmother had four or five rocking chairs in her living room so we would stake out our favorite chair. She loved to look at the Sandia mountains (even at night) so she would draw her curtains open and sit in front of the picture window and look out as we talked and as a result of this (and a condition with her eye) she never turned on any lights in the living room. So there we would all be, sitting in the dark rocking and talking.

My grandmother "Nonnie" sitting in one of her many rocking chairs - photo taken in the late 70's.

These were truly wonderful times. She would tell us all about the old folks that came before us. Her stories were wonderful and I am very fortunate that my sister recorded them and we each have a book made up of her stories. We would laugh and cry and get mad at mean old relatives that had been dead for 50 years...it was the very best part of my family life.

And of course I have my own experiences and stories to add to the family collection. What I don't have is my own future generations to tell them to. So I sit and rock and write and tell them to you...whoever you are...I tell them so they are shared and remembered.

And I have made some "cyber friends" that are quickly becoming very dear to me. I know its a certain kind of person that blogs and I feel like so many of you are kindred spirits...familiar spirits...

And to be even more honest - I'm a gabber. I love talking and telling stories. So it brings me a vast amount of pleasure to write this blog.

9 comments:

Gerald Schwartz said...

I haven't thought of my grandma in a very long time.. Thank you for reminding me to do so...
Keep those words flowing and when you have a min.. do a little painting to..

Cara said...

I will. Thanks Gerald!

sandy said...

I really enjoyed reading about your grandmother! ....the stories, the rocking chairs. I hope you continue yakking, I enjoy it!

I could visualize you all sitting in the dark, looking out at the mountains, talking... I would have been the one asleep on the couch, kind of in a twilight, where I could hear you all, but dozing also...that kind of comfortable warm feeling. That's the feeling I like best, aware/not so aware... but safe feeling.

Cara said...

Sandy - you hit the nail right on the head - it was so peaceful at my grandmother's house. People would always comment on how well they slept at her house. I always thought it might have been because we didn't watch TV and didn't have all the ads and other junk in our heads.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful that you have so many stories passed on by your grandmother. Your description gave a beautiful visual to me in my head and actually made me feel like I was there. Keep those posts coming. I enjoy them so much!

Cara said...

Thank you so much Janelle - and don't worry, I am enjoying this blog too much to abandon it.

sandy said...

You've been quiet lately, hope all is well!!

Hope you are partying and living it up so much you just don't have time to talk about it...seriously, though, hope you're doing okay.

Cara said...

Sandy - Thanks for checking on me. I have been intending to blog about my absence but haven't had the opportunity - hopefully I will very soon.

Time has become a rare commodity around here lately.

sandy said...

Glad to hear from you. HOpe you find the time to get on and "talk" some more. I miss your posts.