Friday, January 8, 2010

Snowed in

Sun and Sands Restaurant - snow storm - late 60's maybe even early 70's Here in the upper part of Missouri where I live we have had one heck of a cold spell. It started snowing Wednesday evening and kept it up all day Thursday and into this morning. We got about 4 inches but the real issue was the wind. We had terrible wind, which is unusual for us, and that brought the temperature with the wind chill to about -10 degrees below zero.

I stayed home from work yesterday and thank goodness I did - about 11 o'clock in the morning my heater went out. Luckily I got a repairman to the house in short time and the repair was both easy and inexpensive. I would hate to think what it would have been like to have come home from work to a cold house and possibly frozen pipes.
By this afternoon the sun was out and it seemed like I would make it through all of this nasty weather after all.
But all this caused me to think about what it was like when we got our big snow storms in Santa Rosa. I can remember being in school and the minute I opened my eyes in the morning I would would jump up to see if it snowed and then turn on the radio to listen for the announcement that every kid prays for - NO SCHOOL TODAY! YEA!!!!
Because of its location on Route 66, the highway would often be closed at Santa Rosa in order to give the winter traveler some options before proceeding toward Cline's Corners where they would certainly get stuck in the snow. My father had owned several restaurants and one of them, Sun and Sands Restaurant, was on the east side of town. (Just at the bottom of Sunshine Hill for those of you who know what I'm talking about). At that time my dad had the only restaurant with gas grills instead of electric. This was important because the first thing to go back then in a snow storm was the electricity. This was back in the times of streets lined with poles and wires. During the heavy snows the lines would become heavy with wet snow that turned to ice that they would eventually snap.
Since my dad had gas grills he could open his restaurant and offer gallons and gallons of coffee and a very limited menu. I clearly remember him serving breakfast and grilling the bread since the toaster, being electric, didn't work. This rare type of toast was such a treat to me and I can taste it even now. I am amused at my current age to realize that what he was serving was what is now served at every steakhouse across America - good ol' Texas Toast. Just the same, I thought my dad was the most clever man on the face of the earth.
Since we were the only game in town, as far as eateries go, our place would be packed with tourist. Businessmen, families, college students, truck drivers, all strangers caught in a snow storm waiting for the highway to reopen, trying hard not to look scared,
My dad charged 15 cents for a cup of coffee and refills were free. I would bet my life that each man, woman and child drank ten gallons of coffee for 15 cents while waiting out the storm. If day turned into night calls would be made to find lodging for the stranded. Motels were filled with those who could pay - preachers would be called for those who couldn't.
Frozen, scared, frustrated and more times than not, irritated travelers were taken in, treated like family and cared for. Times were different then...better....

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will not acquiesce in on it. I assume warm-hearted post. Expressly the appellation attracted me to read the sound story.

Cara said...

Anonymous,
Thank you.......I think....

Darren Maurer said...

Cara,
Great to hear from you. I saw the comment you left on my blog. Thanks. Your story of the restaurant makes me want to do a painting of the inside of the restaurant with all the characters waiting out the storm. The different foods on the grill would make a great painting also with the chef standing over it. Coffee always makes a good subject. Thanks for the post. Very cool.

Cara said...

Thanks Darren - It thrills me to know that my written words can spark visual pictures in your mind. Let me know if one of these ideas ends up on camvas.

Anonymous said...

I remember those snowy days still! On the north side of town, our streets were then unpaved but the snow would form a hard slick crust that we would play on and slide on for hours, oblivious to the cold. In high school, I used to work with Mrs. Greve in the library before school. On snowy days, I would look for her tracks to walk in on my way to school. She was a tremendous influence on our family, and she probably never knew.
Archesis

Anonymous said...

Even though church and school were supposed to be separate even back then, I remember that the Catholic church and the nuns wielded a strong influence on many of us. Girls were not encouraged to wear pants, but on cold, snowy days we were allowed to wear them (under our dresses) lol!

Archesis

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.

Cara said...

Archesis -

I remember when we couldn't wear pants in public school as well. One terrible cold day my mother insisted that I wear pants to stay warm and I got a paddeling from Mr. (Albert) Sanchez. You talk about being caught in the middle - my mom said I had to but he spanked me anyway - ha ha- I never forgot that.

Cara said...

Dear Anonymous - glad you found the posting helpful -

Cara said...

Hey - emo boy - you're spamming but that's okay - if you ain't tryin' you're dyin'. I visited you blog - great layout.