Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Job's Friends

Corrine Duran's first grade class. I'm first on the top row next to Miss Duran. Patty Cowden is the pretty little blond at then end of that same row.

On my 45 minute commute to work each day I listen to Christian Radio and the ministry of Chuck Swindoll (Insight For Living). Lately he has been preaching from the Book of Job. This is the very first Book I read from the Bible as a young child. It was full of lessons that have stayed with me my entire life. Many aptly apply but what I want to write about now is the topic of friendship.

Those of you familiar with the Book of Job know that story, through a series of events Job losses his children and his means of making a living and is afflicted with boils...the true example of "if it weren't for bad luck he's have no luck at all".

When all of these things happen to him he is left to nothing. He grieved in a way that is totally foreign to most of us today. He ripped his clothes, shaved his head fell to the ground where he stayed.

Now in the second chapter of Job we are told that three of his friends came to him..These guys get a real bums rap in the story because of the advice they give him. Although they are 100% wrong in their counsel I have to admit to admiring Job for having these friends to start with.

The Bible tells us that when these guys heard about Job's troubles they "came from their countries". These weren't guys who lived down the block, these guys put their lives on the back burner and came to their buddy. This would have cost them money and time but they came anyway.

The story goes on to say that they were shocked by what they found but instead of being put off they tore their own clothes, poured dirt on their heads as a sign of grieving and sat down on the ground next to their friend and (here's the important part) said nothing...nothing...for seven days.

Now I agree that when they did talk they gave bad advice and all I will say about that is that Job was an independent man capable of thinking for himself and therefore not influenced by his friends but...they were his friends all the same. In the end he interceded for them before God..because they were his friends right or wrong,

I have no doubt that Job knew many, many people and had many relatives but these friends came to him in his darkest hour. It makes me wonder, if he had good fortune, lots of money and cattle, if he had arranged a feast with food and music how many people would have been there? How many friends ate at his table one month and then steered clear of him the next? True friendship can be uncomfortable at times but we go on in love.

The friends may have been foolish in their counsel but they were truly friends. I have heard some say that this is a reference to people who come around during a tragedy saying "well you should do this or you should do that". I don't agree with that interpretation because they sat on the ground in silence for seven days. They were there to show support, not to counsel. They loved this man enough to let him grieve. When the conversations finally began I believe their motivation was still concern for Job.

I bring all this up because I am fiercely passionate about my friendships. They are all important to me. I have been blessed to have wonderfully supportive sisters and brother-in-laws as well as two great nephews but we're family and they have to love me (ha ha)

But my friends, I love my friends, all of them. I can remember my very first best friend in 1st grade, Patty Cowden. I lived close to the elementary school and at lunch she would hide in the alley while I ran into the house and asked if she could come over for lunch. My mom would say yes and and I run outside and get her. Once in 2nd grade we got in trouble with Miss Tipton because we would color our pictures the same colors.

*Oh, oh, oh, side note. Once in 2nd grade I asked Miss Tipton if I could go to the restroom. She said yes but was not happy about it. She scolded me and said I should have gone at recess. As I turned to walk away from her she swatted me on the butt just to emphasis her displeasure. I never forgot that. Then in 1993 - I would have been 36 years old - I was working for Dr. Silva when her sister brought her in to see the doctor. Now she seemed old to me when I was in 2nd.grade but at this time she seemed ancient and frail. I took her vital signs and recorded her complaint in preparation for the doctor's exam. After completing these tasks I crossed in front of Miss Tipton as I exited the exam room. As I did I'll be damned if she didn't reach out and swat me on the butt....again! True story!
But over the next several postings I intend to tell stories about valuable friendships under the heading "Job's Friends". When you see that you will know immediately that its a tribute to someone I dearly love.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great story about Miss Tipton! I had her in second grade too, and I was totally in love with her tasseled oxblood stacked heel shoes and her sharply pleated plaid skirts. Love the the story about your friend Patty, too!

Arch's sister

Cara said...

Thanks for visiting - Ms. Tipton was a good teacher and now days when I hear how a teacher should never spank a student I laugh because I remember getting such an unfair spanking and I grew up unscarred from that encounter.

Anonymous said...

I shared this blog with my brother Lou, who is very impressed with your photo collection. I looked again at the photo, and I do believe that is Arch right smack in the middle in the long-sleeved blue grey shirt. I didn't see him the first time. Genetics is amazing to me--even in this day and age. My 6 yr. old grandson looks so much like him.

Arch's sister

Anonymous said...

OOps, it's not Arch. It looked like it until I saw a close up.